Chora is the capital of Samothraki. It is located in the island’s mainland and lies 6 km from the port of Kamariotissa. It is a traditional and listed settlement (Presidential Decree 19.10/13.11.78 (Greek Government Gazette 594 Δ.), built in the 15th century like an amphitheatre, at an altitude of 300 meters, between the slopes of Saos Mount. It has two-storey stone houses with tiled roofs, paved squares and beautiful cobbled roads as well as few “aetsenia” houses, an example of one of the most primordial forms of housing units within the Mediterranean Basin.
It is worth visiting while there, the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (1875), because of its precious icons and the heads of the "Five Martyrs of Samothraki", the Folklore Museum and the country church of the Saviour as well as the ruins of the medieval Castle, remnant of the domination of the Genoan Gattilusi family, circa 1400. Chora looks more like a well-designed theatre cavetto, rather than a typical island capital. It exhumes a pleasant atmosphere. It is the symbol of power and reflects the splendor of culture and philosophy.
Samothraki Beach Apartments & Suites Hotel (former Eroessa) is located on the leeward, south part of Samothraki, on a lush hill of 30000 m² above the pebbled Makrilies and Lakoma beach with the fishing boats and fresh fish.